With a 110-year heritage, the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) is the nation's premier not-for-profit organization dedicated exclusively to fighting insurance fraud and crime.
NICB membership includes more than 1,200 property-casualty insurance companies, vehicle rental companies, auto auctions, vehicle finance companies, self-insured organizations and strategic partners. Beyond our membership, our nearly 400 employees work with law enforcement agencies, technology experts, government officials, prosecutors, international crime-fighting organizations and the public to lead a united effort to prevent and combat insurance fraud and crime.
A career with the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) is rewarding and fulfilling to people who have the passion to play an important role in combating insurance fraud and vehicle crime. At the NICB, we know our people are our competitive advantage, and so, we offer a work atmosphere that is second to none.
The primary NICB contact with its member companies and law enforcement agencies providing advice on preventing and combating insurance related crime and fraud in their designated geographical areas. Responsible for initiating and conducting investigations which result in the dismantlement of organized groups/rings, arrests of those involved, loss mitigations, restitution and reduction of insurance fraud. The Special Agent functions as the investigative arm of the NICB, working in cooperation with member companies, law enforcement and other associated agencies to combat insurance related crime.
Primary area of responsibility includes Chicago metro area with additional responsibility for portions of Northern IL, Northern IN, and Southwestern MI as needed.
- Conducts timely and thorough, multi-claim, multi-carrier criminal investigations.
- Collects, analyzes, and calculates relevant data for use in investigations.
- Properly documents all phases of investigative activity.
- Prepares summary investigative presentations for submission to law enforcement/prosecutor.
- Represents NICB in criminal court as requested, often testifying as an expert witness.
- Serves as liaison with member companies, law enforcement and government agencies to promote and provide the full range of NICB services.
- Functions as a “technical” expert in fraud investigations and identifying insurance fraud schemes/claim file review.
- Maintains membership in appropriate professional organizations.
- Works well with others in a Task Force environment / a team player.
- Establishes and maintains business relationships with member companies, law enforcement, regulatory agencies and vendors.
- Provides comprehensive training to member companies and law enforcement on related insurance crime matters.
- Identifies potential new member customers.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Recognized functional expert.
- Above average performance sustained over time.
- Ability to interface successfully with a variety of people.
- Ability to continually exercise discretion and independent judgment in matters of significance.
- Ability to work independently under pressure.
- Capacity to travel.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- High level of organization skills.
- Sound decision making skills.
- Operate and maintain NICB issued equipment, including the ability to drive a company vehicle.
Education, Work Experience, Licensure:
- Bachelor’s degree or 7-10 years of equivalent experience required
- Valid Driver’s license required
- 3-5 years of related investigative experience required
- Insurance industry or law enforcement experience preferred
This position has no direct reports.
- All levels of NICB employees
- Law Enforcement and Prosecutors at all levels
- Member Company Personnel
- Works in an unstructured environment
- Covers a wide geographical area with little or no direct onsite supervision.
- Squatting, climbing, stooping
- May be required to lift up to 25 pounds
- Travel required
- Must possess valid driver’s license and be able to drive a company vehicle.
The NICB is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: NICB is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at the NICB are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Job Type: Full-time