ABOUT MID-MAINE HOMELESS SHELTER & SERVICES
MMHSS is one of Maine's most innovative and inclusive emergency homeless shelters. Our 48-bed low-barrier shelter welcomes everyone, including people struggling with addiction, mental illness, or a history of incarceration. We believe in harm reduction and supporting our guests as they seek to find permanent housing solutions. Hope starts here.
JOB SUMMARY/GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF PURPOSE:
The person in this position is responsible for maintaining a safe, friendly, positive, and comfortable atmosphere for all guests. Provides leadership by supervising guests and volunteers, while ensuring that the Homeless Shelter policies and procedures are followed. Provides intake to emergency guests; completes routine and/or assigns Shelter maintenance tasks; prepares nutritious evening meals or assigns the task to volunteers and/or guests and supervises the process. Receives and documents donations made to the shelter. The Shelter Attendant works as a member of the Homeless Shelter team to best meet the needs of Shelter guests and works to contribute to the community’s prevention of homelessness. Patience, compassion, and a good sense of humor are required. This is a part-time position working a variety of shifts including Day, Afternoon, Evening, and/or Overnight. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference in the lives of our most vulnerable community members, this might be the right job for you.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES
- Provides supervision and direction to guests and volunteers fostering a safe, friendly, positive, and comfortable atmosphere for all guests.
- Exhibits compassion, patience, and a healthy sense of humor even in times of stress.
- Establishes and maintains professional boundaries in working with guests, staff, volunteers, and the public.
- Assess emergency situations and respond effectively.
- Prepares nutritious evening meals or assigns tasks to volunteers and/or guests, supervising the process. Assures food safety handling practices are followed and the kitchen is cleaned up after evening meals. Makes certain any unused foods are marked, labeled, and stored appropriately.
- Documents all information provided by guests and ensures the Targeted Case Manager obtains all appropriate information relevant to case management services to guests.
- Documents shift notes and specific incidents accurately and appropriately to ensure the next shift has all the necessary information. Documents when guests leave and return for a valid appointment.
- Completes shift swap-over including walk-through. Overnight attendants will complete overnight duties and sign off on the duty checklist.
- Supervises guest smoke breaks and assures guests are utilizing appropriate smoking area and following Shelter policies and procedures as they pertain to smoking. Supervises the playground area when in use by guest children. Document and report any concerns to the Shelter.
- Assures all guests are signed in and out of the shelter on time and all valuables, including medications, are secured according to policy and practices.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensures all guests and volunteers are adhering to the Shelter policies and procedures. Follows staff policies and procedures.
- Answers and logs phone calls taking messages or connecting callers to the appropriate staff person when needed. Distributes mail to the appropriate guests when received.
- Assists guests with laundry needs including distribution of soap. Strips beds of guests who do not show up and launders bedding.
- When the breakfast cook is not available, prepares a good quality breakfast meal for Shelter guests or assigns tasks to volunteers and/or guests, supervising the process. Assures food safety handling practices are followed and the kitchen is cleaned up after the breakfast meal. Makes certain any unused foods are marked, labeled, and stored appropriately.
- Follows all food safety and sanitation practices during meal preparations. Assures proper hand washing techniques are used by all staff/volunteers who work in the kitchen. Participates in Food Handling Safety training.
- Provides intake to emergency guests, documenting all required information.
- Completes routine and/or any assigned shelter maintenance tasks on any given evening.
- When assigned, will conduct house meetings, schedule kitchen help, guest duties, and shower and laundry schedules. Assuring guests are completing their weekly duties.
- Acts as liaison with community providers as needed.
- Receives and documents any donations made to the Shelter.
- Attends staff meetings and comes prepared to actively participate.
- Exhibit a positive professional attitude with guests, co-workers, clients, partners, and within the community. Exhibit self-motivation, organization, and resourcefulness while maintaining a reputation through proven action of being a team and guest oriented and willing to assist where/when needed.
- Performs other reasonably related duties as assigned.
Mid-Maine Homeless Shelter & Services is an EEO Employer. MMHHS will not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sex stereotyping, gender identity, gender expression or transgender status), national origin, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, age, protected genetic information, status as a parent, marital status, political affiliation, or retaliation based on prior protected EEO activity. In addition, MMHSS will not permit harassment – sexual or nonsexual – of any employee or applicant for employment.